The great thing about coconut cream concentrate is that you can use it in every day cooking. There are a large amount of recipes that use it. A favorite has always been coconut cream pie, but there are many more that aren’t quite as well known, such as coconut cream cake, smoothie recipe and cake mix.
Recipe for Creamy Coconut Pie
- Deep dish pie shells, baked (a 10-inch is even better!)
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened condensed milk (or use half and half cream)
- 1 1/4 cups coconut-milk (or use 2-1/2 cups of 18% table cream or half and half cream)
- 1 cup sweet flaked coconut (use soft finely flaked coconut only)
- 3/4 cup white sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sweetened flakey coconut
- In a saucepan, heat half and half with the coconut-milk over medium heat, until steaming.
- In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup sugar with the cornstarch; whisk in the eggs until blended.
- Gradually mix in hot milk mixture into the egg mixture to thin, in a steady stream.
- Return the mixture to saucepan; cook, over medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 10 minutes, or until thickened to pudding consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl; stir in coconut extract (if using) and vanilla then mix in 1 cup coconut.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding mixture; refrigerate until cool.
- In a bowl, whip whipping cream with 1/4 cup of the remaining sugar to soft peaks.
- Set 1-1/2 cups of the whipped cream aside to use for topping.
- Fold the remaining whipped cream into the cooled filling; spread into pie shell.
- Using a piping bag, or with a spoon, garnish top with reserved whipping cream.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until set or for up to 1 day.
There are so many food uses for coconut that the general public is not aware of such as raw coconut butter, virgin coconut oil and organic raw coconut cream. By using coconut ingredients you are eating healthy and nutritious meals that taste great!
Coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut butter, and coconut water are other coconut products that come from coconuts. They are in many different brands ranging from Tropical Traditions for hand creams and lotions to Savoy Coconut Cream for coconut milk. We could call coconut a super food, but it is so much more. It can range from sweet to salty, flakey to soft, it can be so many things. Enjoy some coconut today.