The fact that coconut water has many health benefits is not at all surprising since coconuts themselves also do wonders for our bodes. So, what are the health benefits of coconut water? First, let’s talk about its nutritional value. After understanding its nutritional properties, you’ll easily understand the various health benefits.
Coconut Water Benefits – Nutrition – Electrolytes
Coconut water has the five electrolytes that are already in our bodies. This includes potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, sodium and calcium. All of these electrolytes help in certain functions of our body. Also, being a natural health drink, coconut water does not contain any preservatives, fats or cholesterol. This makes it a good drink for everybody regardless of your conditions.
For instance, coconut water contains a considerable amount of potassium – about 295mg – far more than any other sports drinks and energy drinks, which contain only about 117mg of potassium.
Electrolyte Drinks (Like Coconut Water) Help Lower Blood Pressure
One thing you may not know is that hypertension, or high blood pressure, is oftentimes caused by an electrolyte imbalance. Many hypertensive patients only worry about sodium, but all of the electrolytes take part in the “blocking” of ducts in our veins. Fortunately, coconut water has all five electrolytes, unlike your favorite sports drink.
Studies have shown that drinking coconut water directly lowers blood pressure in 71% of people! So if you’re hypertensive, start each day with a bottle of coconut water, which will help balance your electrolytes after your overnight “fast” that occurs when you sleep and use up your electrolytes.
Coconut Water Benefits – Nutrition – Low Sugar ContentBy now, you should certainly know that processed sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup and fructose in general, are responsible for the massive growth in obesity rates happening in the Western World.
While coconut water does have some sugar content, it is nowhere nearly as potent or dangerous as that of sodas, sports drinks, or even processed juices like apple juice that contain no fiber. According to the chief of United nation’s Food and Agriculture, coconut water contains about 5mg of Natural Sugars whereas all the other drinks contain about 10-25mg of refined sugars.
These refined sugars wreak havoc on your body due to their simple nature, cause your blood sugar levels to spike, thus causing an insulin spike, and thus finally causing that horrific process known as fat storage. Stop drinking sugar-infested drinks that rot your teeth and cardiovascular system and start drinking some natural coconut water each morning.
Coconut Water Benefits – So Healthy it Can Be Used Intravenously
In tropical countries, coconut water has long been used as a remedy for all types of illness. In an emergency, it can even be used as an intravenous treatment for immediate hydration!
Coconut Water Benefits – Healthy Skin
We’re always concerned with the way we look – and our skin is one of our most shining examples of having vibrant health. There’s good news here – Coconut water also has an effect on the skin. Here are some benefits of coconut water for the skin:
- Coconut water adds moisture to our skin. Many lotions and facial moisturizers have this in their formulas – and those are great – but they also only work on the outside. Drinking coconut water hydrates your skin from the inside. Aside from this, coconut water also helps remove excessive oil in the skin and in the scalp. Again, this is why so many conditioners and shampoos make use of coconut water.
- Coconut water can cure acne scars. This is possible thanks to coconut water’s cleansing and toning effects on the skin. Unlike the above bullet point, we’re talking about topical treatment now. You can apply coconut water on your face everyday then see how it goes.
Coconut Water Health Benefits – Weight Loss / Fat LossI’m going to put it straight to you here. Coconut water does contain sugar, and too much sugar promotes obesity, especially if eaten at the wrong times. However, coconut is far healthier than the alternative sport drinks, sodas, and even commercial fruit juices and juice boxes.
First off, coconut water contains fiber, which slows the absorption of the sugars. This is critical, since other sugary drinks and even fruit juices do not contain fiber, and those fast-digesting sugars lead to fast fat-storage.
Second, there is simply less total sugar in coconut water than there are in the other drinks mentioned above, so if you substitute it for your daily sports drink, you will be taking in far blood-sugar-spiking sugars.
- Coconut water contains a high amount of water along with its electrolytes. As we all know, water keeps our bodies hydrated. As a result, the metabolism rate in our bodies remains high. Due to this fact, water is a big help in maintaining one’s health. This is also the same with coconut water.
- Coconut water has a good effect on thyroid function. There are people that can not burn fat because of thyroid issues; drinking coconut water can be good for them.
- Coconut water does contain many calories compared to the other commercial drinks in the market.
Coconut Water Benefits – Hangover Prevention and Remedy
Another controversial use of coconut water is for hangovers. You might find this use very weird. However, people say that coconut water is actually very effective in preventing or curing hangovers. When you drink too much, chances would be you’ll urinate frequently. As a result, you will get dehydrated and deplete your electrolyte stores in the process. There are two of the main causes of hangovers. Once you drink coconut water, it will rehydrate your body thanks to the water and replenish electrolytes more than all commercial sports drinks.
Other coconut water benefits include:
- Coconut water cures or prevents kidney or bladder stones. Some people say that when you drink coconut water on a daily basis, the best results are achieved.
- Coconut water has anti-viral, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties.
- The pH of coconut water is isotonic with our blood. Because of this, coconut water can be used as a plasma substitute in extreme emergencies.
- Coconut water contains lauric acid; a substance that can be found in baby’s milk. This is why it can also be used as a substitute to processed baby milk.
- Infants are given coconut water to get rid of their intestinal worms. This is as effective as the anthelmintic medicines in the market. But since it is natural, it is actually much safer.
- Cholera patients are also recommended to drink a glass or two of this natural drink; it may be helpful for them since coconut water contains albumen.
- Coconut water is a great and natural way to prevent acid reflux.
- It also aids in digestion.
- One of the benefits of coconut water is it also improves blood circulation.
- It also boosts your immune system.
So there you have it, the benefits of drinking coconut water. From blood pressure to hangovers to skin health – this delicious stuff has it all!